The Labyrinthine Night
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Move around, navigate menus
- Directional Pad
Confirm, Do stuff
- X on Xbox
- Square on PlayStation
- Escape or P
- Start (Options on DualShock 4)
The Labyrinthine Night is a top-down, survival-horror-ish adventure game intended for entry into the first No Excuses Game Jam, for which the theme was "lost family".
You're tasked with searching through a maze-like forest for your lost family members, who are caught in dangerous situations! Find them all, save at least one, and make it back to the entrance in one piece!
You have a set of three hearts to represent your health, and a flashlight battery meter to represent the time you have left to find your family. That said, there's a few ways to lose:
- If you run out of battery, the Night's darkness will overtake you and it's game over!
- Letting all three members of your family die will cause you to succumb to hopelessness, prompting the Night to end you.
- Running out of health removes your will to go on, allowing the Night to claim you.
The concept might sound familiar; it's similar to that of the Temple Runs of Legends of the Hidden Temple! It's an idea that has inspired how I think about game design, and I thought would make for fun gameplay if done top-down.
Why I Made This
Originally I jumped into No Excuses Game Jam with The Labyrinthine Night as another fun, small project to complete, a way of improving my dev skills. However, scope crept out of hand just before the halfway point and life events kept me from meeting the deadline. Instead of throwing the idea out or onto the backburner I stuck with the spirit of the jam, and I whittled away at it as often as my schedule would allow. I now wanted to finally release more than one game in a 3-month period; with The Labyrinthine Night that was made possible.
How I Made This
- The Labyrinthine Night was built with Godot Engine (I love it I love it I love it 3.0 HYPE).
- Player/background sprites and objects were provided by the Slasher Forest Tile Pack by VexedEnigma. Check out her other work as well, it's great!
- The Edit Undo Line font was used for the menus, and the Volter (Goldfish) font was used for dialogue.
- Aseprite was used to edit or otherwise modify the above assets as needed, including the player, feral dogs, and death animations. Any other unmentioned visual assets were made by me in Aseprite.
- Sound effects were sourced from AudioBlocks, except the menu sound effects which were derived from this sound by broumbroum.
- All background music was composed by me, using the CompiFONT sample library in LMMS.
- Fixed an issue with the Sis rescue where players would be unable to shoo the dogs away. Hopefully she can make it out alive with you now!
- Mac-specific: Turned on "High Res" for Mac OSX exports. If any Mac users can report any issues they have with this build that would be great!
- Initial release!
ATTENTION WINDOWS USERS WITH DPI SCALING ABOVE 100%:
Please do the following if the game gets too big for your monitor when you launch it:
- Right click the exe and go to Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Check the box next to "Override high DPI scaling behavior"
This will prevent issues with over-sizing that the game seems to experience in high DPI systems.
Leave a comment
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.